Infographic Template Galleries

Created with Fabric.js 1.4.5 What is it? Tay-sachsDisease Tay-Sachs disease is a fatalgenetic lipid storage disorder inwhich harmful quantities of a fattysubstance called ganglioside GM2build up in tissues and nerve cellsin the brain. When and How? The incidence of Tay-Sachs is particularly high among people of Eastern European and Askhenazi Jewish descent. A child can only have Tay-Sachs disease if both parents are carriers of the gene. When two carriers have a child together, there's a: 25% chance that their child willnot be a carrier and not have thedisease 50% chance that their child willbe a carrier, but not have thedisease 25% chance that their child willhave the disease Signs and Symptoms > Infantile TaySachs disease - Infants with TaySachs disease appear to developnormally for the first six months after birth.Then, as neurons become distended with gangliosides, a relentless deterioration of mental and physical abilities begins. > Juvenile TaySachs disease- It is rarer than other forms of TaySachs, and usually is initially seen in childrenbetween two and ten years old. People with Tay Sachs disease develop cognitive and motor skill deterioration,dysarthria,dysphagia,ataxia, and spasticity. Death usually occurs between the age of five to fifteen years. > Adult/Late-Onset TaySachs disease - A rare form of this disease, known as Adult-Onset or Late-Onset TaySachs disease, usually has its first symptoms during the 30s or 40s. It is characterized by unsteadiness of gait and progressive neurological deterioration. Symptoms of late-onset TaySachs which typically begin to be seen in adolescence or early adulthood include speech and swallowing difficulties, unsteadiness of gait, spasticity, cognitive decline, and psychiatric illness, particularly a schizophrenia-like psychosis.People with late-onset TaySachs may become full-time wheelchair users in adulthood. Links:
Create Your Free Infographic!