Infographic Template Galleries

Created with Fabric.js 1.4.5 Unit 731 Unit 731's goal was to create and test various biological weapons for use in World War II. The Togo Unit was set up in northeastern China to see whether it was possible to conduct human experiments there and whether the experiments would produce useful results. - Vivisection without anesthesia (because rotting was thought to ruin theresults, vivisections were performed on living subjects)- Vivisections performed on pregnant women (often women who had been impregnated by the doctors themselves)- Limbs being amputated from prisoners to further study blood loss.- Limbs being removed and re-attached to opposite sides of the body- Limbs being frozen and amputated-Limbs frozen and then thawed out (to fully study the effects of rotting andpossible gangrene)- Stomachs removed while alive- Being hung upside down (to see exactly how long one dies before beingchoked to death)- Having horse urine injected into kidneys- Starvation- Exposure to extremely high and low temperatures in order to develop frostbite- Exposure to lethal doses of x-ray radiation Procedures: Subject Selection: The majority of subjects that fell victim to Unit 731 were Chinese(70%), and most of the remaining were Russian (30%), with anoccasional Allied prisoner. They were selected because they wereeasily available as prisoners of war and had few to no rightsaccording to the Japanese government of the time. Some scientistsinvolved in Unit 731 felt that a death that advanced scientific understanding was a noble death for a prisoner of war,and they found the usage of humans to be necessary to their research because humans were their targets. Experimental Results: Unit 731 gained information on the human susceptibility to diseases as indicated by specific infectious doses of bacteria, which could not be obtained in other laboratories due to the ethics involved. Huge advances were made inthe creation of weapons for biological warfare, especially with the bubonic plague. Prosecution of the Guilty: None of the doctors were prosecuted as the U.S. governmentdecided that they would not prosecute if they could have the extensive research of Unit 731. This meant that those who committedthe atrocities were granted immunity, and many went on to haveinfluential careers in Japanese medical research and education. The Image: The image shows how Japan, from 1937 to the end of the war,experimented with various biological weapons on human subjects. Unit 731, a covert biological and chemical warfare research and development unit, was especially infamous for killing thousands of people to achieve mastery over biological weaponry.
Create Your Free Infographic!